Using ClosedXML in "GAC mode"

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:40 AM

This is kinda problematic to used ClosedXML in "GAC mode" if it's not strong signed, and file version changes frequently.

Consider scenarion using it in IIS, then you place it in GAC. First you should recompile source code using key, then you must update version to old one, or fix it in web.config file (trusted assemblies). Maybe it's good to freeze version at least until product become relatively stable, and sign the assembly (and add key file to project).

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2011 at 4:30 AM

So even if I provide a strong signed assembly you would still have to do something because of the version?

I actually like quick releases because I'm kinda neurotic about someone downloading the latest version only to encounter a bug which I've already fixed but not released.

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Exactly. Then referencing strong signed assembly from GAC both version and key values must match. And you must fix it in both web.config and all ASP files (I fix it in source, coz it's simplier, but not everyone can do that I suppose).

So if version isn't changing is just filedrop to GAC, but if either key or version changes then it's become quite a hassle then library is updated often (that is, by itself, is good in my opinion).