This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Open file in GMail

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Hi, can someone tell me why a ClosedXML format file will not open in GMail? Works fine in Excel, but not GMail using either their "View" or "Open as Google Spreadsheet" option.

Thanks.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Unless GMail gives you a specific error related to the file part it doesn't like, I don't think I can help much. "Can't open the file" is not enough information.

/Manuel

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM
MDeLeon wrote:

Unless GMail gives you a specific error related to the file part it doesn't like, I don't think I can help much. "Can't open the file" is not enough information.

/Manuel

Sorry for the lates response. When I click on "View" I get the following message from GMail:

"Sorry, we are unable to generate a view of the document at this time. Please try again later.

You can also try to download the original document by clicking here. Alternatively, you can view the plain HTML (automatically redirecting)."
When I click on or "Open as Google Speardsheet" I get the following:
We're sorry.

The spreadsheet you are trying to upload is invalid.

The only thing I can do is download it and open in Excel. Should ClosedXML files be viewable in GMail? Maybe it's a format option I'm using during file creation..

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM

It's the same message (Can't open the file). There's nothing for me to investigate unless I get a better error.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM

That's the exact message I get from GMail with no other information provided. Can you confirm that you can open ClosedXML Excel files in GMail using either the "View" or "Open as a Google Spreadsheet"?

Can you please try and let me know if it works? I've even tried making a basic empty Excel file and no luck.

Thanks again.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM

GMail doesn't like the .xlsx files created with this library, I don't deny that. But I still can't do anything because both Excel and the OpenXML SDK say the files are A-OK and GMail doesn't give any reason for rejecting the file.