This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Make ClosedXML work in Classic ASP

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:39 AM
Edited Oct 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Basically what I am trying to do is consume the .NET component by a COM application so that I can use ClosedXML in Classic ASP.

To do that I am following the approach described here http://testtrack.blogspot.com/2005/10/calling-net-dll-from-classic-asp-page.html

Run the following command: 

Regasm ClosedXML.dll /codebase

The error  I get is: 

RegAsm : warning RA0000 : No types were registered.

The cause of this is that in AssemblyInfo.cs the ComVisible property for the assembly is set to false! To access types in a .NET assembly from COM, this property should be set to true. Once that is done, I should be able to successfully register the .NET assembly and consume it in my COM component. (http://re-learn.blogspot.com/2007/09/regasm-warning-ra0000-no-types-were.html). This can also be done in the project options and check the Visible to
COM check box.

My request to you is, can the dll be exported with the ComVisible property set to true?

Thank you

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM

comvisible doesn't come for free. Sorry but I'm not going to maintain compatibility with COM.

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Thanks. I've found the source. I'm a pure web programmer though and not really experienced with Visual Studio or something. I'll dive into that later or if somebody is willing, maybe will do it for me or has done it already earlier. You can send me a PM.

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM

C., if you are a pure web programmer but want the server-side benefits of .Net, then you would probably enjoy the MVC framework that is available in VS 20008 and VS 2010. It lets you use pure HTML, Javascript, JQuery etc. for your client-side user interface while getting the full power of .Net on the back-end. Take a look at the Nerddinner project here in codeplex to see a good example of how it works. You can get SQL Express and VS Express for free and they have all the features just with limited capacity that make them perfect tools for developers to gain familiarity. Good luck.